Saturday, September 20, 2008

We Were Made For This…

Perhaps it is a little outspoken to say “We are made for this…”To be politically correct I should say “I was made for this…” But sometimes I can’t contain it and only say it only for myself ; so I must go ahead and say it for others. For those that know this, those that are denying it, or those who have simply not experienced the truth yet.

We were made for community. To live, to worship our God, to play, to rejoice, and morn… to live and love. Last week this time I was in Nicaragua. I know that I haven’t posted anything yet about it. It is not because I don’t want to, it is simply that I do not know what to write. I am still processing and trying to put it into words for myself and for others. But one thing is true… whenever I return from overseas I miss living in community and marvel at how disconnected we are here in America.

My plane landed in Raleigh, NC and within a short hour and a half our team was all through customs and into different cars driving away. The next morning I woke up and rode my bike to work. I stopped outside the office and looked around outside and was saddened by how empty the lawns and the streets were. Wishing for one more morning where I woke up hot and sweaty and greeted by children that threatened to overwhelm me before I was fully awake. I miss the evenings when we were all so TIRED and some of us sick and a team member would say, “Can we just sing one praise song together, before we go to bed.” And it wasn’t a strange request. We would sing and many times not know all the words but it was good, it was sweet, and I believe God smiled seeing His children making a joyful, tired noise together.

Living here in Glenwood I am blessed with opportunities to live in community if I will just open my door. Community is not entertaining; it is simply allowing your life to intertwine with others and to carry out daily tasks together, learning new things, and being stretched. I’m not totally sure what true community would like here, but I do know that we are missing it. After having experienced it time and time again I miss it and long for it. I believe we were created for this, that may be to strong of a statement. But isn’t that what was in the beginning?

No comments: