
What if I was Black?
“Walking in faith is quite terrifying at times.”
Would you listen to me if the pigment in my skin was a little darker?
Insecurities start to rise as I look you in the eye, as I speak on poverty and the culture that our kids live in.
What if I was Latino? What if I was Asian? What if I was African American? What if I was anything but WHITE, would that make a difference?
“Whatever, nobody understands.” is a phrase that I have heard kids here use over and over again. I wanted to use that phrase myself today.
The fours wall were closing in around me. My heart felt like it was suffocating.
I exchanged an office for the streets, and remembered why I am here.
It probably would still help if I could turned my skin in for a shade darker.
But, as I sat in a living room drinking a glass of Kool-Aid talking with 5 teenagers, and listening to their stories; my heart began to beat again…
There is hope.
It is a process, not a program, or an overnight miracle.
I’m sure I will struggle again with being white.
But for today it is enough to know that God has brought me here, and will see me through.
The only thing that matters is faith expressing itself through love. Galatians 5:6b
1 comment:
I sometimes wonder the same thing, but I know as much as I try, I won't really ever know. But I'm glad that we can hope and pray for the Lord to continue working, despite our "whiteness". =)
Post a Comment