Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Summer Camp for Parents?



“Have you ever thought about having a summer camp for parents?”

This past Sat. and Mon. Dayna and I spent our mornings and afternoon signing up kids for Glenwood Summer Camp! It took a really long time, but not for negative reasons but for really positive reasons…(The parents wanted to chat :) More than once mothers of the kids that are going to camp mentioned how much they would like to be able to get away and go to “camp”. (We are going to Washington DC this year and then ending the week with six flags!).
It really got me thinking though. How many of these mothers missed out on having good clean fun in their teens? How many watch their daughter go to dance, their sons get excited about going over to their tutors house… How many times have we picked up kids for small group and the mother watches with joy for her kids and a little jealousy and wishing that she had somewhere “fun” to go.
I would love to have a weekend camp for the parents. It is only a thought in my mind right now, but there is something about it that makes my heart jump.
Loving a community is loving the whole family unit. What a difference it would make if we really became intentional about loving the mothers of these kids. We do love them…But I know that I need to be more intentional about it.
Diane I think the time is close where we rent a limo and pick up the mothers for a night out. That was your idea right? :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Marshall Benbow said...

I would love to see us have a weekend with the parents at the end of camp. I think we could/need to move towards greater family involvement.

Anonymous said...

I am so pro adult camp!!!!!!!! That is such an exciting thought!! :-)
Rach