Friday, January 02, 2009

Safety, Love, and Jesus


When I thought of a “homeless shelter” the first imagine that came to my mind is an institutional like area with cots and gray blankets and well just not much warmth. Not sure where that mental image came from, seeing that I have never worked in a shelter before. But that image of a cold and dismal place no longer exists when I now hear “shelter”. Instead I think of the Eagle’s Nest at Grace Community Church; where laughter, love, and warmth abound. I see 15 or more cots set up with colorful comforter, fluffy pillows, and stuffed animals. I see women both young and old coming in out of the bitter cold and the tension draining out of them as if they are melting before my eyes.

I stayed the night this past Tuesday as an overnight staff. And it was right and it was good. It was a blessing to sit around and chat with the women. They enjoyed cracking jokes about me being a “baby” and how I was so “young”. Funny how I am not feeling that way, as I get further and further from being in my “20’s” but they got a rise out of it so I just played along. I spent about an hour or so playing “Jenga” with 3 of the women. We would play with such intensity holding our breath least we be the one to make the towering blocks come crashing down. Talking with the other staff, enjoying being honest, talking about life in the inner city, about Jesus and all He has done for us, and being thankful for the opportunity to meet these beautiful women. It was such a joy to say goodnight to each of them, waking up and having coffee and laughing at ourselves as we stumbled around ½ asleep.

It seems normal now to just “stop in” even when I am not covering a shift. Yesterday a friend and I went over just to say hi to everyone. Tonight I headed over around 6 and ended up staying for a few hours, having dinner with the women, and then listening with them as Hannah’s Haven students shared their testimonies and we all ended the night by praying for each other.

It is so much more than a shelter, it is family, it is a place to call home.


For ways to help please see the link below:

http://gracecommunitychurch.org/2008/12/11/winter-emergency-shelter-needs-for-women-at-grace/

Artical in News and Record:
http://www.news-record.com/content/2008/12/15/article/i_m_so_glad_you_re_here

No comments: