Sunday, January 11, 2009

Sweet Karen

I drive by her old house a few times a week. And think of her each time. I wonder where she is and how she is doing. She is in 6th grade now (I think). I’m glad that she was able to move away and out of the house that was barely standing and held bad memories. I miss her and think of her often.

Today I laughed as I remembered the first day I met her. She came and knocked on my door wanting to borrow a broom but she didn’t know the English word so she stood on my porch and attempted to act out sweeping and cleaning. She ended leaving with a broom, a vacuum, and a bucket with cleaning supplies. I attempted to explain to her I needed to run to the bank but when I got home I would change and come over and help her and her mom clean the house. Between both of our acting skills and “spanglish” a friendship was born.

I came home and a few minutes later and changed into overalls and went over to work. Her mom and I tried to carried a mattress and box spring up the stairs only to find out that we couldn’t round the corner into the bedroom.  Later that afternoon Denine got home and her and Karen hit it off right away! Denine knowing Spanish and loving to dance they were soon inseparable. That first night we ate outside and I laughed until my sides hurt as I watched Carla (Karen’s younger sister) dance on top of the trash can with a mischievous grin.

Karen was over almost every day when she lived next door. Coming over to say, “hi” and working on her spelling words. There was one word in particular that she kept having trouble with. “Blossom”. So Denine made up a silly move to help her remember, and I stood there laughing as they practiced “blossoming” in the living room. The next day Karen came over with her spelling test announcing that she had gotten “blossom” correct and smiled shyly as she said she did the move very “tinny” in her chair to help her remember. 

Those first few months were so sweet. Carla ended up moving back to Mexico with her father and Karen stayed. Thing happened fast and it seems a blur. Evil came and sweet Karen and her mom needed to move away. They were around for awhile, moving from place to place, Karen would call and we would pick her up for the weekend or from dance class. She would come to church with us, and one morning asked Jesus to come into heart as Neen and I sat on the front of the stage with her.

It has been over a year and ½ now since we have seen her, maybe longer. The last time she was with us Denine asked her when she thought she would to be old to hold her hand and call her Ms. Denine and I Ms. Suzanne.  Karen thought that was funny question, b/c we would always be older and the “teachers”. I wonder what she would think now?

Where ever she is I pray that she is warm, that she knows she is loved, and that she is seeking after Jesus in her innocent child like faith. Please pray with me tonight for Karen and her family.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

sweet karen...what a joy she is. i'll definitely join you in that prayer, my friend.

Anonymous said...

oh man. my heart just tugged, hard. i remember her. i'm joining you too.
rach