Monday, February 02, 2009

Dear God…

Tonight was the first night back at G.D.M. (Glenwood Dance Ministry). The girls were all so excited, it was beautiful, I’ve missed seeing them each week and hearing their funny little stories and hearing the honesty in their voice when they have something important to share.

Tonight we ended with the lights out and worshiping God through dance. Nothing was choreographed it was just a time to dance. As the girls danced to “He knows my Name” by Fred Hammond, I tried not to watch them b/c I didn’t want them to feel put on the spot but a few times I glanced over and was overcome with the innocence that had filled the room. Here we were dancing, in a darkened room on a cold night a few streets away from where they have learned lessons that are far beyond their years. It was in this place that we were reminded that we have a Father, that he knows our name, and that He sees each tear that falls… It was hear that it didn’t matter the color of your skin. That the little girls cheered when Eliza (a friend of mine’s daughter) who happens to be white and those cheering were black walked into the room and was introduced.

As we were ending we gathered in a circle to pray before departing. One of the girls requested that we take turns praying around the circle, and I was more than happy to comply. After I prayed I squeezed the girls hand next to me and my heart leapt as I heard her honesty and the honesty of the girls after her.

Dear God, did you see me dance tonight?
Dear God, thank you that I am not on the streets.
Dear God thank you that I get to live with my mom again.
Dear God, there are a lot of things that we are not telling You, but you already know them all please bless us.
Dear God, bless this dance class.


And the circle went on.
Please keep us in your prayers, as we continue to meet for Dance Class and Learn about the one that has come to give us life!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

i'm so thankful to get to be a part of it with you. i love that you typed out some of their prayers. i loved the, "did you see me dance tonight?" ;)

Anonymous said...

that just blessed the snot out of me! :-) i miss you. and you are anointed to work with those girls.

rach